Saturday, June 2, 2012

Who Is Adam?

My name is Adam and I am currently 30 yeas old. I have had Crohn's for the past 6 years and I am still learning how to deal with it. I was a high school teacher but now I work in finance. I live in the Niagara region of Ontario and have been treated by doctors in St.Catharines, Niagara Falls, and Hamilton. I lived in Toronto for a year and I even lived in Australia for a year so I have been treated by quite a few doctors from a few different places. Each time I get similar answers but some different opinions as well. 

But the main points seem to stay the same:
  1. none of them know exactly how I got Crohn's
  2. none of them know how to cure Crohn's
  3. and their favourite line about diet, medication, or any form of treatment... "everyone is different"
So how does any of that help me? And that is the point I am at now. Being bounced back and forth, from one doctor to another. All they want to do is give me the same tests over and over again to find out what they already know. Then they put me on new pills that are supposed to be better than the old ones. My condition never gets any better but the side effects just keep getting worse. Each pill is more expensive than the last and they aren't covered.

I just found out from my new doctor, after all the horrible tests again, that my condition is worse, my previous medication didn't help and actually made things worse. So now I have to go through the withdrawals of going off the old meds while increasing the new meds which have more side effects. My condition just went from bad to worse over night and I don't know what to think or do anymore. I'm researching it on my own, looking for someone to talk to and I don't even know where to start. But I've decided to start this blog and put together all the information I find into out place. Maybe if it can't help me it can at least help someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment